Syllabus

From: Mölders et al. (2015)

From: Mölders et al. (2015)

ATM688 Atmospheric Sciences Informal Seminar

Course: ATM688, Atmospheric Science Informal Seminar, (see schedule for time and location)
Instructor: Nicole Mölders
Office: Akasofu 309
Office Hours: Thursday 1300-1400 in Akasofu 319
Seminar time and location: Schedule
Telephone: +1-907-474-7910
Email: cmoelders 'at' alaska.edu
URL: https://www.gi.alaska.edu/~molders

Suggested readings/textbooks: I expect that you read the memos that I will distribute in the seminar.

Course Description: In this seminar series, ongoing research in Atmospheric Sciences is presented by the scientists. This seminar is the opportunity to get to know about newest research results, ideas and directions long before you can find them published in peer-reviewed journals. Themes that will be discussed cover various aspects of atmospheric remote sensing, air chemistry and climate at various scales. Students will develop skills on how to participate in scientific discussions, which includes interpreting questions, asking and answering questions. Students learn to write an abstract for their presentation, how to present in front of peers and response to the audience questions.

Course objective: At the end of the semester you should be able to understand typical questions in Atmospheric Sciences addressed in talks, put up questions, and contribute to the scientific discussion. You will also have chances to learn how to defend a scientific hypothesis and response to questions of various kinds. The seminar intends to give experience in presenting own research results in front of peers, and to improve the presentation style and communication skills.

General Information

Attendance: You should attend the seminar regularly. Excused absences are absences arranged and approved in advance or absences due to a documented emergency. Such documentation must be made immediately upon the student's return to class. Please understand that this is a college course - you are expected to be on time for the seminar and have all the required material unpacked. Lateness or unpacking disturbs the seminar and is unfair to the other attendees and the speaker.

Homework: I expect that you read the memos that I will distribute in class and that you prepare for the class as assigned. You will once be asked to write and abstract and once to write a review on two abstracts of your classmates. You will have to revise your abstract according to the classmates’ comments on your abstract and write answers to the comments.
In-class presentations: You should be able to ask questions and participate in the discussion of the talks. Give the person who is speaking your undivided attention. It is not only common courtesy, but whispering or talking can distract, annoy, and even intimidate students around you as well as myself. Essentially, you should treat speakers as you would like, and expect, to be treated yourself.

Examinations: N/A

Additional policies: All kinds of weapons will not be allowed in the seminar. If you have a disability and require any auxiliary aids, services or accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact me after class, see me in the my office, or call me during the first week of the semester to be able to define specific accommodation needs and have enough time for any necessary planning or preparation. If you have any kind of a physical or learning disability you must tell me about it. All disabilities are documented by UAF's Center for Health & Counseling and instructors receive a formal letter requesting that accommodations are made following student with disabilities. Any student who is an UAF sponsored athletic or who has other personal or situational difficulty that might affect performance is invited to contact me in the first week of the semester (or as soon as such matters emerge) so that ways of accommodating the difficulty may be anticipated.

Grading Policy: This seminar has a pass/fail grade. To pass you have to attend the classes and contribute to the discussion of the talks. You can pass this class by attending, contributing to the discussions and giving one 45 minutes presentation in the seminar. It is recommended that you take this seminar at least once in the regular mode prior to giving a presentation. Missing more than one seminar without reasonable excuse will automatically result in a fail grade.

Schedule: The schedule of talks is an evolving target as speakers sign up with time. Thus, check the schedule frequently and check you UAF email address for seminar announcements. A tentative schedule of the status at the beginning of the semester is available.

Sign up for an email reminder

• Seminar reminder

Undergraduate course syllabi
Student protections and services statement: Every qualified student is welcome in my classroom. As needed, I am happy to work with you, disability services, veterans’ services, rural student services, etc to find reasonable accommodations. Students at this university are protected against sexual harassment and discrimination (Title IX), and minors have additional protections. As required, if I notice or am informed of certain types of misconduct, then I am required to report it to the appropriate authorities. For more information on your rights as a student and the resources available to you to resolve problems, please go the following site: www.uaf.edu/handbook/.

Graduate course syllabi
Student protections and services statement: Every qualified student is welcome in my classroom. As needed, I am happy to work with you, disability services, veterans’ services, rural student services, etc to find reasonable accommodations. Students at this university are protected against sexual harassment and discrimination (Title IX), and minors have additional protections. For more information on your rights as a student and the resources available to you to resolve problems, please go the following site: www.uaf.edu/handbook/.

COVID-19
This seminar is delivered via zoom. Students should keep up-to-date on the university’s policies, practices, and mandates related to COVID-19 by regularly checking this website:
https://sites.google.com/alaska.edu/coronavirus/uaf/uaf-students?authuser=0
Further, students are expected to adhere to the university’s policies, practices, and mandates and are subject to disciplinary actions if they do not comply.